Wednesday, April 25, 2012

That ain't no Etch-A-Sketch. This is one doodle that can't be un-did, Homeskillet.

As I sit on the couch, enjoying the comforts of ducted heating on this 14 degree April day, I realise that not only did I drastically fail my last years resolution to blog at least once a month, I have also been incredibly slack in keeping in touch with my Queensland counterparts over the past few months.
Taking the time to write down a day-to-day acount of the time I have missed would not only be painful, but would be incredibly dull, so instead I have opted for the more concise method of dot points (I never thought my life would be limited to a few dots on a page! But, here goes...).

  • Road trips - a series of Victorian roadtrips have added to the mix of uni and work. Courtney and I have ventured to Ballarat, Bendigo, Geelong and done the Great Ocean Road. We have seen scenic spectacles, massive secondhand and antique warehouses, amazingly cheap and delicious cafes and many bollards (bollards? Yes. Click here.)

Court and I in Geelong

  • Interstate and International visitors - One of the perks of living interstate would be the regular visitors.  From family, to highschool friends, childhood friends and relatives (although, Jo and Aaron, I am still eagerly awaiting your journey from Northern Qld to Vic so I can actually see you!)  There is a continuous flow of people coming and going, and it makes for a vibrant and exciting household.  If ever you desire a holiday in Melbourne, let me know - we always have a spare couch!
Court and I with our interstate visitors Natalie and Fiona.

  • Festive season... Aside from the two additions to our little Melbourne family, this is not necessarily a positive dot point. It is hard enough spending the holiday season away from family, but when you have one as disastrous as we did, it makes it all the more difficult.  Let's just say, a late night session of rollerblading ended with my brother in hospital for the majority of Christmas day (if you want to know more, just ask).  Our day was then ended with a shift at work (because apparently people DO go to the movies on Christmas day... food coma and all).  New Years wasn't much more successful (although there wasn't any hospitalisation and Cushla spontaneously visited from Qld which was nice).
The additions to our Melbourne family - Dagda and Gracie-Lou,

  • Future endeavours - One of the greatest thing about working and studying full time is the importance of planning getaways for sanity's sake.  A recent four day trip to Geelong has all ready been followed up by plans to stay at the snow for a few days over ski season. Then we might venture to Brisbane for a visit.  Then perhaps do a couple of music festivals, and all going according to plan, Thailand for Courtney's birthday.  If we don't plan a getaway, we go nuts. Simple as that.
So, with life moving super quickly, and our Melbourne contacts and friendships developing, I would say Melbourne is continuing to surprise and entertain us, as well as educating me as to who I am or will be.  I guess it has taken a few months to realise it, but this move has done more for my self-confidence and self-realisation than I thought.

As for the 30 part film challenge...

Part #3: The film you watch to feel good.

Now, for this one, my response is in no way condoning teen pregnancy.  It is however, encouraging acceptance of ones circumstances and making the best of them... even if they did begin with a chair. And a lot of Sunny-D.  It is probably safe to say everyone knows which movie I'm talking about.





 "Cuz you know, they say pregnancy often leads to, you know... an infant."

"I could so go for like a huge cookie right now, with like, a lamb kabob simultaneously."

"I named my guitar "Roosevelt"-not Ted, Franklin. You know, the hot one, with polio."

No comments:

Post a Comment