Friday, March 25, 2011

"You're never fully dressed without a smile" Martin Charnin

Today made me smile. Why? I'm glad you asked.

Two days ago I was informed Villa & Hut Cafe, where I have been working for the past two months, was closing down - today.  Now, those who know me will know I don't stress too easily.  I am the "everything will be ok" "don't worry, it doesn't achieve anything" "smile and breathe, we will get through this" person.  There have not been many moments in my life where I was stressed so badly it effected everything else going on around me. This was one of them.  All of a sudden my thoughts turned to the $1.11 in my bank account, the lack of shampoo and facewash, the dead light bulb in my one desk lamp, the crackling sound my dying headphones makes, the one text book I am still yet to purchase and the severe lack of food in the cupboard and fridge (sometimes I wonder why we bought one at all).  And then I did what I should have done prior to the freak out.  Prior to the tears. Prior to thinking about anything else.  The most simple of things that I often forget to do.  The most helpful, humbling, powerful thing anyone can do.  I prayed.

Then I came across an ad for a cafe a few minutes drive from home who were looking for an 'experienced barista, latte art skills preferable'. If I am good at anything, it's coffee making.  So I went in and found myself face-to-face with an intimidating Italian man who has made coffee for the past 30 years, and his lovely wife.  After a four hour trial, many conversations about the importance of smooth, creamy milk and a short haggle over my hourly rate, I found myself walking home today employed again.

That is why today made me smile.  Because God answers prayers.

Here are a few other things that make me smile...


 Typo Shop (click here) - If you don't all ready know and love it, check it out. The cutest French-inspired stationary & art you will ever find!


 Arkadia Chia Tea - the most perfect hot beverage for a cold day. Actually, for any day.


 Katy Perry's purple foils.  One day I will have enough cash and courage for an attempt to rock this look.


 Music + Shoes = Heaven.  Adidas know how to please.


 Best friends. Whether they're living in the bedroom next door or are two states away.

 Jake Jagielski.  Televisions most ideal man. Ever. (Yes, I am watching One Tree Hill again. Yes, I want him for myself. Yes, he is creating false expectations)


Pon and Zi (click here). The cutest cartoons ever.


Psalm 136 - 'Give thanks to the God of heaven. His love endures forever.'

1 comment:

  1. It never ceases to amaze me the way that things seem to fall into place when we just remember to ask for help...especially when it requires a lot of faith to keep it together in the meantime. Thanks for sharing petal x

    ReplyDelete