Thursday, March 10, 2011

The Art of Sound

I think it is safe to say that without music, my life would be a boring and horrible existence.  It is art in its purest form.  It freely expresses joy, desire, pain, loss, ecstasy, sorrow, envy, etc. You feel it, music translates it - like a voice without language barriers.  Imagine for a moment, your favourite film.  Now imagine it without music.  It almost become void of any emotional stimulus. 

This afternoon, after cleaning our little unit to the sounds of the Angus, Thongs and Perfect Snogging soundtrack (2010 British pop at it's finest - completely corny but it is impossible to be anything BUT happy when this is playing!) I went through the photos taken when my best friend and I got tattoos together early 2011.  This moment in my life has inspired me to compile a short list of some songs that have really spoken to me in recent times.

  
Linkin Park, Iridescent   "When you were standing in the wake of devastation.  When you were waiting on the edge of the unknown."  
For any time when life seems to cave in. 

Brooke Fraser, Love is Waiting    "I'll give it time, give it space and be still for a spell... I'll be waiting for you baby.  I'll be holding back the darkest night.  Love is waiting til we're ready.  Until it's right."
For when you feel eternally single (we've all been there!). 

Chris Tomlin, Indescribable   "Indescribable, uncontainable, you placed the stars in the sky and you know them by name.  You are amazing God."
For when God doesn't seem quite big enough.

30 Seconds to Mars, Vox Populi   "Did you ever believe? Were you ever a dreamer? Ever imagine your heart open and free?... This is a call to arms, gather soldiers, time to go to war.  This is a battle song..."
For that extra boost of confidence (I put this in the same category as Eye of the Tiger & We Are the Champions)

Martin Solveig, Hello  "You're alright but I'm here, darling, to enjoy the party... Yeah I think you're cute but I think that you should know, I just came to say hello."
For when you just need to bust a move (If you aren't familiar with the song, you will understand when you hear it)


One of my all time favourite quotes is one from the literary genius, Victor Hugo:

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

On that note, there is nothing more to say :)

No comments:

Post a Comment